EMV Security for Credit Cards
- The security EMV technology provides has been used globally for the last decade and is proven to reduce counterfeit fraud.
- EMV cards provide better fraud protection than traditional cards when used at a chip enabled terminal. They have an embedded microchip that turns cardholder's information into a unique code, making it difficult to duplicate.
Easy and Convenient
EMV technology is available in the U.S. and easy to use! Simply follow the terminal prompts, outlined below, to make a transaction at a chip terminal:
1. Insert your EMV credit card into the chip terminal.
2. Be sure to leave your card in the terminal and wait for authorization before removing your card.
3. The terminal will provide you with any additional steps.
If a merchant does not yet have a chip terminal, just swipe as usual since your card still has a magnetic strip.
For phone and online transactions, just complete your transaction as usual.
This change does not impact debit cards as of yet. Debit cards will be updated with EMV technology in the near future.
Haven't received your EMV chip credit card? One will be arriving soon!