Consumers Credit Union Wraps Up Summer Internship Program
2018 participants enjoy unique opportunity to gain workplace experience
Consumers Credit Union (CCU; $1.25 Billion, Waukegan, IL) hosted their third annual internship program this summer, providing nine students a unique opportunity to gain valuable workplace experience. Participants in the 2018 paid internship program worked in different areas of the credit union, based in part on their own career goals.
CCU’s internship program was developed with the primary goal of providing real world work experience so the interns could gain exposure to their chosen career path. Most of the participants are college
- students looking for summer
work while continuing their education. An advantage of interning at the credit union is the variety of career opportunities in financial services: human resources, lending, technology, administration, and sales, just to name a few.
“Our program is designed to create work opportunities and experience for college students. In addition, the intern program creates a pipeline of future talent for CCU,” said Kubas, Vice President of Talent Management. “In fact, we have had five of our prior interns become full time employees for us. They have brought great new ideas and innovative thinking to the team. We plan to continue to grow and expand our intern program opportunities next year.”
How did CCU’s interns view their experience? Here’s what some participants had to say …
- Gaby Alcala, Marketing Intern: “Consumers Credit Union has given me numerous opportunities to network and learn from leaders in the credit union, learn new skills, and explore different aspects of marketing. I enjoyed this role because I know the work I am doing is helping make the credit union an even greater financial institution and an employer of choice. Following my internship, I have learned how closely Marketing collaborates with all other departments in the credit union industry, and I am very thankful for this invaluable learning experience.”
- Lucy Zeng, Payments Intern: “Consumers Credit Union has given me the chance to learn more about the financial industry in a friendly and diverse working environment. This internship has provided me with the opportunity to apply what I have learned in school while at the same time helping me to improve my interpersonal skills.”
- Garrett Bronn, Accounting and Finance Intern (second year in the internship program): “Consumers Credit Union has been a great opportunity for me the past two summers. Both years have offered an extremely varied and beneficial program to gain skills outside of the classroom and to help prepare me for life in the financial and business sector.”
- Trey Fuchs, Sales Intern: “Consumers Credit Union gave me great workforce experience and allowed me to expand my skills through a variety of projects and customer interactions. The experiences I had at CCU were personal and professional, allowing me to form great relationships with the people I worked with.”
“The credit union highly values the internship program and feels it is an opportunity to find future talent for the organization,” continued Kubas. “Our interns have brought fresh perspective and ideas to the products and services we offer our members. As we strive to innovate and bring in new talent, we expect the intern program to be a key driver to future success.”
For more information about the program, please contact Gracelyn Goldensoph, HR Analyst, at [email protected] . CCU is Member-owned, with offices in Waukegan, Mundelein, Round Lake Beach, Gurnee, North Waukegan, Volo, Palatine, Schaumburg, Northbrook, Des Plaines and coming soon to Kildeer, Illinois.